Friday 11 May 2012

Desert Island Reads - Gemma Malley

 
If you knew you were to be stranded on a desert island and you could take 5 books (not including the Works of Shakespeare and the religious text of your choice), 1 CD and 1 luxury item, what would you take? This is the question we ask in our new column, based on Radio 4's Desert Island Disks. Each week a member of staff, a student or a person of interest will put forward their choices.
 
Friday 11th of May 
Gemma Malley, author of The Declaration and The Returners has sent us her selection.
 
1. Camping for Beginners
2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - never read it, seems like the idea opportunity!
3. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - one of my favourite books, and it can take a lot of re-reading.
4. A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell - this one I have read, but again, I'm going to have time on my hands to chew over some big questions and this is a great place to start.
5. All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir - a brilliant book that will remind me of the importance of living each moment.
CD would have to be all of Mozart's symphonies (I know that might sound like I'm cheating, but you can get them on one CD, I promise!). Exquisite.
And my luxury would be sunglasses. So I can read without squinting. But I also really, really want a notebook. And a pen. Or, even better, a computer.
With email.
Okay, fine, just sunglasses...
Gemma Malley's website (from where I borrowed the pictures) is: http://www.gemmamalley.com/
Her books are available in the school library.
If you would like your choices to be posted in this column you can email them to me at lsaint-smith@gch.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment