Friday 15 June 2012

Desert Island Reads - Robert Muchamore

 
 
If you knew you were to be stranded on a desert island and you could take 5 books (not including the Works of Shakespeare and the religious text of your choice), 1 CD and 1 luxury item, what would you take? This is the question we ask in our new column, based on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs. Each week a member of staff, a student or a person of interest will put forward their choices.
Friday 15th of June 
 
 
 
Robert Muchamore, the most popular male author in the GCH library, creator of the Cherub and Henderson's Boys series, has given us his choices. 
   
 
1. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman - The Hunger Games is a pretty amazing book. But this dystopian fantasy is about ten times better.
2. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - This is a fictionalised retelling of some murders that took place in the USA in the 1960s. It’s so well written that I get kind of jealous that my writing will never be this good!
3. Asterix In Britain by Goscinny and Uderzo - Happy childhood memories. I was a huge Asterix fan as a kid and I can still remember every word and every joke!
4. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - I must have read this surreal book about WW2 bomber pilots five or six times and it still makes me laugh every time.
5. Soldier Bear by Geoffrey Morgan & W A Lasocki - This book is based on a true story about a bear that served with the Polish Army during WW2. It’s the first story I can remember my mum reading me, when I was about five years old. Sadly the book is now out of print, but I still have my battered old copy.
 Robert Muchamore's website can be found here: http://www.muchamore.com/
Luxury
An iPad (with solar powered charger!) so I can while away endless hours playing Angry Birds and Retro Racer.
 
CD
I suppose I could cheat by making a compliation, but if it was just one album it would have to be Abba Gold. I could strut my stuff to all those cheesy Abba hits, and nobody would ever be able to see me and laugh.
 
We have all his works in the library, and have already ordered the next Cherub book Guardian Angel, which comes out in August.
 
If you would like your choices to be posted in this column you can email them to me at lsaint-smith@gch.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment